Saturday 18 August 2012

A lesson in humility


Now I’m not up myself, but I do think I do a pretty good job of the stuff that I do and not getting a job in my chosen profession is a bit of an affront to my sense of self-worth. What is also challenging is doing secretarial temp work to make ends meet, because I can’t get a job doing what I really want to do (or should be doing). I am actually a bit embarrassed to admit to people that that is what I’m doing. I do feel like I’ve taken a bit of a step backwards. However, I do see the other side of the coin here and it’s actually a really good learning curve for me.

I am working in jobs that some people might consider the lowliest in the office, the bottom of the pecking order if you will. I used to do these kinds of jobs back when I started my career, and was quite excited about them at the time, but I always had in the back of my mind that I was going to go on and do bigger and better things. That this was not it for me. And it’s still, most definitely, not it for me. But for the people whose roles I am filling, it is. Not only that, but they are happy with that and really proud of the jobs they are doing. And why shouldn’t they be proud of doing a really good job, at the things that really need to be done around the office?

I'm learning from these jobs because they give me the opportunity to observe people and their natural behavior. I’ve been intrigued by how people are treated around the office. There’s the CEO who stopped to shake my hand, ask my name and how I was settling in (I was really impressed by that and that kind of attitude is definitely reflected in the company culture). There’s the leadership development ‘expert’ who seemed to really struggle to acknowledge my presence and last, but not least, the HR people who don’t even say hello. There are definitely exceptions, but it’s amazing how many people look down on you for the position you hold and not who you are. I am probably guilty of that too sometimes – but I don’t want to be.

I think it goes to show that, no matter who you are, always treat people the way you want to be treated. My grandmother has always been really good at this, treating people with courtesy and kindness. I try as much as possible to take example from her. So I think taking a step backwards is a good thing, you can see who you would rather be in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment